There's a howling gale outside. I am huddled over the radiator, a dog on each foot, and a spare dog in the next room in case I need a warm cape. All the thermal layers I intend to take North with me are being put to good use.
It is, though, the damp that gets into my bones and makes me grumble creakily as I move around, enveloped in additional warm blankets.. I really have to train the dogs not to get off my feet when I stand up. I'm sure a 40kg dog on each foot would soon develop my skiing/skating moves as I heaved them ahead of me. For now, though, a dog on each foot (and the spare) seems like a good way to get around and prevent my feet from turning blue.
The damp, though, the damp... the cold is so wet, I could wring it out and wash the walls with the leavings. In the North, as I recall, the cold is dry and doesn't tease your arthritis so badly. I look forward to it and, until departure day, will keep trying out the thermals and practising breathing out of my hood without steaming up my glasses and being a danger to myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment